Wednesday, January 21

 

Yet Another St. Lucy




My red-and-black image of St. Lucy has proven particularly popular with patrons. This one (for a priest's niece in Iowa) I am particularly satisfied with, as it works out some of the kinks that had found their way into my last two renditions of the subject. At some point in the future I may consider doing some other virgin-martyrs in a similar pose, to form a matched set, rather like the images I posted last week of St. Margaret, St. Casilda and St. Apollonia and other similar saints done in a very different style but in roughly the same processional posture and level of fanciful costume by Zurbarán in the 17th century. Also, another saint would be good as I am starting to run out of variant Lucy-related attributes for her to hold.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?