Thursday, July 3

 

Fourth of July Vacation




...will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations from one end of this Continent to the other from this time forward forever more.

~John Adams on how we ought to celebrate the 2nd of July, 1776. Why he was so darn all-fired up about St. Swithun's day, I'll never know.


I shall be away from the Hanseatic Republic of New York for a few days in order to better celebrate the feast of St. Elizabeth of Portugal (and the birth of our most serene Republic a few days late) by consuming mass quantities and watching professionals blow things up on a large scale. (I will probably have to leave my John Adams for King tee-shirt behind to avoid a hazing*). In any case, expect things to be quiet here at the Shrine

*I'm kidding. It really says "Philip II for President." I imagine, for the sake of balance, we'd have either Queen Christina of Sweden or Alexander Hamilton for the veep position.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?