Sunday, December 30

 

Assorted Christmas Cheer


Supper Menu, Alderman Residence, December 24, 2007

Principal Course

Shepherds' Pie with Yukon Gold Potatoes and Double Gloucester
Asparagus with Butter

Rolls

Dessert

Flambéed Spotted Dog with Currants and Brandy-Butter

***

Weather: Delightfully cool and damp.

Dinner was followed up with a large fire in the great hall with a brick of Irish turf thrown in for flavor.

[Look, that's what we call it, the great hall, and it's fairly big as these things go in suburbican north Florida.]

***

"'Bless me,' cried Jack, with a loving look at its glistening, faintly translucent sides, 'a spotted dog!'"

—Patrick O'Brien, The Ionian Mission.

From Wikipedia:

Spotted dick is a steamed pudding, containing dried fruits, usually currants. The dessert originates in and continues to be popular in the United Kingdom, especially Scotland, where, presumably, it was originally created. Usually served either with custard or with butter and brown sugar. Spotted refers to the raisins (which resemble spots) and Dick may be a contraction or corruption of the word pudding (from the last syllable) or possibly a corruption of the word dough. It is also known as spotted dog, plum duff, steamed dicky, dicky pudding, figgy dowdy, as well as plum bolster, and Spotted Richard.

The last, only in formal settings.

***



***

Dinner Menu, Alderman Residence, December 25, 2007

Principal Course

Traditional Cuban-style Pork Haunch marinated with sour orange juice and Mojo Criollo

Traditional black beans and white rice

Traditional Yucca

Rolls

Dessert

Assorted Marzipan and (non-traditional) Mozartkugelen

***



Jesus Christ the Apple-Tree

The tree of life my soul hath seen,
Laden with fruit and always green:
The trees of nature fruitless be
Compared with Christ the apple-tree.

His beauty doth all things excel:
By faith I know, but ne'er can tell
The glory which I now can see
In Jesus Christ the apple-tree.

For happiness I long have sought,
And pleasure dearly I have bought:
I missed of all; but now I see
'Tis found in Christ the apple-tree.

I'm weary with my former toil,
Here I will sit and rest awhile:
Under the shadow I will be,
Of Jesus Christ the apple-tree.

This fruit doth make my soul to thrive,
It keeps my dying faith alive;
Which makes my soul in haste to be
With Jesus Christ the apple-tree.

~Divine Hymns or Spiritual Songs, New Hampshire, 1784.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?