Sunday, August 27

 


I recently came across a photo of the All Souls Chapel at St. Louis Cathedral; the cathedral is already probably one of the finest in America and may well be the finest. This chapel in particular intrigues me, with its striking, austere black-and-white marble decorated in a manner the cathedral website describes as "Viennese Reconstructionist," which I have never heard of before, but looks like a Sezessionist take on Byzantine. I will have to add to my mental file of good 20th century architecture styles like Art Nouveau, Catalan Expressionism and the like which never got an even chance before getting sadly forgotten by history. Though I'm not so sure I like those odd blank blocky abstracted capitals; a little bit of detail in a restrained manner might do a bit of good up there.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?