Sunday, July 9

 


Some readers expressed an interest in Cram and Goodhue's Mexican baroque church of SS. Peter and Paul in Fall River, Massachusetts. Due to alert reader Liam at the New Liturgical Movement, I now have a picture of this no-longer extant church's exterior. I plan on posting a pic of the interior when I have a chance. The outside's a bit disappointing--I like the dome and the drum, and the star-shaped windows are intriguing if a bit jarring, but portions of the front just seem a bit unfinished. It strikes me that perhaps the two blocky front portions were intended to be towers, but just never got around to be finished. Still, I can see why Cram's client, Fr. McCahill, thought it would revolutionize Catholic architecture in America, and also why it didn't in the long run.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?