Sunday, June 11

 
Where do they get off, anyway

Honestly, the more I reflect on the Christian Tradition and the Scriptures, not only the more confirmed am I in the Catholic articulation of the Faith, but the more completely untenable do I find classical Protestantism. I can remember being rattled by Bible-Bangers assuredly declaring that "a sin is a sin is a sin," no sin being worse for your relationship with God than any other, and no sin being fatal to that relationship. Insert denounciation of Catholic "mortal sins" vs. "venial sins" here.

Really, that rattled me. Then I read stuff like this, and it makes me mad not only that they haven't digested entire books of Scripture.

1 John 5:16-18
If anyone sees his brother sinning, if the sin is not deadly, he should pray to God and he will give him life. This is only for those whose sin is not deadly. There is such a thing as deadly sin, about which I do not say that you should pray. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that is not deadly. We know that no one begotten by God sins; but the one begotten by God he protects, and the evil one cannot touch him.
What gives? Why did I fall for it? Why do they?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?