Friday, July 8
No, not that Index. This is the "Index of Universities and Institutes of Superior Instruction of the Catholic Church." John Allen talks about it in today's Word from Rome.
It includes an interesting synopsis of the discussion of Catholic Identity at Catholic schools.
The Vatican suggests these benchmarks:
- Concern for social justice
- Sacramental and devotional life
- Curriculum -- are theology and the Christian tradition core elements?
- Percentage of Catholics among faculty, trustees, and staff
- Religious and doctrinal attitudes of students over time
- Practice of the faith -- do students pray, go to Mass, express an interest in religious vocations, etc.?