Sunday, July 17

 
Responding to Don Jim's Bedside Meme, even though I wasn't tagged.

Like the good Fr. Tucker, I sleep alone and I too have two nightstands. On the Gospel side, where I do most of my sleeping, is a clock, a black Sharpie marker, a disconnected phone and a copy of Umberto Eco's How to Travel with a Salmon and Other Essays. Most of the other "night-table" books are on the floor: Civic Ritual in Renaissance Venice, P.J. O'Rourke's Peace Kills, a book entitled Revision: A Creative Approach to Writing and Rewriting Fiction, an encyclopedia of Jewish folklore, and a translation of Rabbi Scholem's 1960 work Zur Kabbala und ihrer Symbolik, which I'd forgotten I even had checked out of the library and really have no interest in reading at present. There's also a wadded-up polo shirt.

On the righ hand (Epistle side) is another alarm clock, and on the floor are a bunch of crumpled architectural drawings and a defrosted cube refrigerator not plugged into anything. There's also a rolled-up poster of Dalí's Christ of St. John of the Cross In front of my bed is a pile of books including a pocket guide to baroque sculpture, an outdated guide to literary contests, a book entitled Be Your Own Literary Agent which I have not read, books on Filippo Juvarra and Rome's churches, cases from DVDs of a Tridentine church dedication service and an Anglican Use Mass from Our Lady of Walsingham, and a bound copy of Liturgical Arts Quarterly from 1936. Incidentally, I have a copy of the Book of Divine Worship on my coffee table and an Irvingite Breviary, and on my computer desk are copies of a historical travelogue about the Turkish hatmaking industry, Blessed Juliana of Norwich's Showings, an icon of the Trinity, a DVD of Northern Exposure, a CD of St. Hildegard of Bingen, and a German book on reliquaries.

To be honest, I don't really actually read many of the things near my bedside table; most of my actual reading goes on at lunch on workdays, or on weekends at my desk or on the couch. The stuff in my bedroom sort of migrates there after I lose interest or get done with it.

Now, Emily, Andy, Ithkul, Dan and Brian, let's hear about your bedsides!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?