Monday, February 7

 


I have nothing to leave or give but my life and this I have consecrated to the Sacred Heart to be used as he wills. I have offered my all for the conversion of non-Catholics in Virginia. This is what I live for and in case of death what I die for ... Since my childhood, I have wanted to die for God and my neighbor. Shall I have this grace? I do not know, but if I go on living, I live for this same purpose; every action of my life here is offered to God for the spread and success of the Catholic Church in Virginia ... I shall be of more service to my diocese in heaven than I can ever be on earth.

--Frank Parater, December 5, 1919



My Virginian friend Lynn wrote last night to remind me that today is the eighty-fifth anniversary of the death of the Servant of God Francis "Frank" Parater, a North American College seminarian and Eagle Scout who died young after dedicating his sufferings to the Sacred Heart of Jesus for the salvation of his home of Virginia. Frank Parater's causus was opened only in 2002, and as a Servant of God, is only on the lowest rung of the sanctoral ladder. (However, he doesn't have to remain so). He is the first former boy scout to be considered for sainthood, and also the first Virginian. Frank's prayer--a last will and testament of sorts--is still published in the North American College's manual of prayers, as George Weigel notes here. Pray for his canonization and ask for his intercession in a special way today!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?