Wednesday, December 1

 
(Cue tinkly Dudley Do-Right-style piano continuo)

Ladies and Gentlemen, for your cinematiscopic viewing-pleasure, Holy Whapping Superba-Llewellyn Vintage Filmographical and Wireless Entertainment Ltd. proudly present in glorious silent black-and-white the 1922 photo-play TRAPPED BY THE MORMONS!

Let the imdb.com review speak for itself:
This is, without question, my Favorite Bad Movie. I first saw it about 20 years ago as a college midnight movie, and it stayed with me. I finally found it on tape at and actually bought it, which is something I rarely do. However, this film is so memorably and ineptly hilarious, I had to get it.

It's a silent British film which is to Mormonism as Reefer Madness is to [drug] usage. The plot--what there is of it--is of a Mormon polygamist luring small-town English girls to forced marriages, upon which they are sent off to Salt Lake City. Needless to say, the heroine, played by Evelyn Brent, is saved by her poor, wheelchair-bound father and her dashing sailor boyfriend.
Good grief. Someone call Tom Servo.

While horribly un-oecumenical, there was a fad in Britain during the second decade of the twentieth century for Mormon exploitation flicks a la A Study in Scarlet. I suppose it's the Latter Day Saints version of the eeeeeevil conniving (and Jesuitical) Jesuit of so much over-the-top nineteenth-century nativist propaganda...

For any Mormons reading this, I apologize; I know this bears about as much resemblance to your church as Guido Sarducci and The Da Vinci Code does to Catholicism. But it is, you have to admit, pretty darn weird...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?