Wednesday, February 18

 


Notre Dame loves birettas: Our founder, Fr. Edward Sorin, CSC.

Latin under the Golden Dome?

Fellow Domer Mike Roesch asks, why not a regularly-scheduled Latin Mass for Notre Dame? This is more of a question for the current ND students who read this blog, but whaddaya think? Would anyone be willing to sign a petition? I know once I get back, I'd be willing to pitch in, especially if someone buys me a server's cassock and surplice. And sunglasses so I can occasionally say, "I know kung-fu." Wait, forget I said that, that's the Neo Ordo, not the Novus. Any aspiring acolytes out there besides me? Oh yeah, and a celebrant would be nice.

Seriously, an indult for the Tridentine mass would be a dream come true. It's not unprecedented: St. Elizabeth of Hungary Parish in South Bend has one every third Sunday of the month, I'm told. But that's probably too much too soon.

Still, even your basic non-indult Novus Ordo rite would be lots of fun and maybe we could even convince the sacristan to trot out some of those great old vestments gathering dust in the Basilica cupboards... After all, there's nothing forbidding birettas, sacring bells, ad orientem altars and lots of candles from the new rite, whatever the language. Pleasepleaseplease?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?