Friday, December 12

 
Home For the Holidays

It seems inevitable that I use a familiar song title for my post about leaving. It's almost traditional now; I don't know how many friends of mine have sent me emails with titles like "Leaving on a Jet Plane" over the years when they went off to college (who wrote that one, anyway?). So, as of eight in the A.M. tomorrow, I'll be no longer a cittadino of Rome, at least for one long relaxing holiday month. And then back into the hurlyburly of Italy, refreshed and excited for a second chance. These last few weeks have been a festival of stress, so I look forward to my return in January with a fresh perspective and a clean slate.

It's both exciting and slightly daunting: what will I do with all that time? Tallahassee, Florida, isn't known for having quite as many cultural amenities as, say, Rome, or probably even Orvieto, but it is, thanks be to God, home. What will I do? Very little, and I'm grateful for that. At least I hope so.

There will be some blogging, for sure. I won't abandon youall, not now. I've still got some remarks on what I did my last weekend in Rome and my little adventure seeing the Pope celebrate the feast of the Immaculate Conception (or at least a glimpse of a white-clad arm, a zucchetto and the flailing bodies bunch of hyperactive nonna-aged groupies). And maybe a word or two on our arkie Christmas celebrations, a remarkable mixture of pig-out and feverish last-minute drafting. And, lastly, God willing, maybe even our very own Holy Whapping Holiday Special: Christmas in Florida.

That being said, pray for me and pray for my family. I just need to remember it's almost over. The problem is, I'm stuck presenting my project last, and the review is scheduled for being over at six in the evening, which means, I'll probably be here until nine. Offer it up, Matt, offer it up.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?