Tuesday, May 10

 
That "Caesar's Bath" thing"

"List five things that people in your circle of friends or peer group are wildabout, but you can't really understand the fuss over. To use the words ofCaesar (from History of the World Part I), 'Nice. Nice. Not thrilling . . . but nice.'"

We at the Shrine have rather the opposite problem as Fr. Tucker--we share most of our enthusiasms, I'd say. But here goes.

1) Hard drives that don't fail during Finals Week. Actually, I'm not into it either. But it didn't happen to any else that I know, so I think it counts.

2) The 1965 Missal. A lot of us think that the 1965 missal is the perfect solution to the 1970 missal. But it cut out the prayers at the foot of the altar, and a couple of my other favorite parts of the Old Mass, without the expanded Lectionary of the New Mass. And I really don't think it's any more effective in bridging the gap between the Old and New Mass than using the 1962 Missal for a translated Missa Dialoga would be.

3) Mushrooms. It's far too closely related to Athlete's Foot to be food.

4) Guiness. Beer in general, really, but since this is an "Irish" campus the greatest enthusiasm is for Guiness. I just don't like it.

5) The Field of Literature. I'm sorry. I know I should like it, and I know that it's important, but I can never keep Jane Austin straight from Jane Goodall.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?